Friday 17 May 2013

Twins Twice?

At the begining of February 2013 I found out I was pregnant again (I was quite suprised as it happened a lot more quickly than last time!) Due to our history we went for an early scan and consultant's appointment when I was about 7 weeks. I was petrified that there would be no baby, but also petrified that there might be 2!

The consultant found a foetal pole and heartbeat the exclaimed "Mmm that's interesting"- And pointed out a second yolk sac. He explained that it was probably vanishing twin syndrome where a second foetus had been conceived but failed to develop. He also pointed out that the 2 yolk sacs were in the same outer sac which would suggest a spilt embryo (Oliver and Matthew had been non identical and thus from 2 eggs)- The chances of this happening is 1:10,000

Anyway, He also gave me a comprehensive treatment plan involving cervical scans starting from 12 weeks to see if there was a problem with it that might have lead to Matthew and Oliver's early arrival.

So, here is the photo from our  12 week scan... notice anything? You don't need to be a scientific genius!





The following day we were refered to the larger hospital, a regional centre for multiple births for our Downs Screening. This is also where Oliver died and where I have bereavement counselling so they knew our situation as soon as we arrived which was good. There they confirmed that the twins are both identical and sharing a placenta. They explained that due to this we would need to transfer there for care and would get fortnightly scans- Whilst I knew the risks of twins sharing a placenta... I was reassured about the fortnightly scans part!!!

Mixed feelings doesn't really cover how I felt when we found out (and really how I still feel). Whilst a part of me feels like this is my second chance to be a mum of twins... another bit thinks, "Heck, what is going to stop this happening again!" 

Shock,
Excitiment,
Terror,
Elation...

Shame a very large glass of Merlot is off the cards!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment