Saturday 25 May 2013

Last day at work, but not really on maternity leave!!

So yesterday was my last day at work and a part of me feels so glad that I'm now a lady of leisure but another part of me feels like I'm in limbo, almost like I'm being a bit of a fraud. Someone I know from a forum said that she felt the same, as sadly, neither of us now equate going on maternity leave with having a baby to take home!


Technically, though I'm not on maternity leave yet. After the school holidays I will be 21+2 weeks so for the first 8 or so weeks of my leave I'm officially off on pregnancy related sickness. Because there was no clear reason apart from multiple birth ever found for why Oliver and Matthew turned up so soon, I've been advised to take it easy, not to be on my feet for more than an hour at a time, not to bend, stretch or lift heavy things and to avoid being pushed or bashed around. Being as my job involves teaching little people with little tables and chairs, and at this time of year that means sports days, trips and concerts, I can't really continue.

 I do however, generally love my job and am usually really enthusiastic about it. Recently though it has been very hard work, more so than normal, my heart hasn't been in it the way it used to be as all my priorities have shifted and perhaps that is also a sign that I ought to be slowing down.

I was really nervous at work all week as although I couldn't wait until Friday I was dreading people making a fuss. Really, I just wanted to slink off at the end of the day. I was paranoid that someone might buy me a "Leaving to have a baby" card or baby related stuff (off which I myself have brought very, very little!)

In the end though it was fine. The other teachers gave me a little good bye in the staff room and some nice smellies and told me to relax and put my feet up. I also got lots of chocs, bath stuff, scented candles and magazines from my class and my friend from work, which I'm hopeful will be useful in the next few weeks/ months.

In a way, I'm glad I didn't slink off totally un noticed, as it did make me realise how much people care which is always nice.

My plan from now until the birth is to chill out, make the most of my Lovefilm subscription, blog, crochet, sew, maybe do a bit of yoga, eat chocolate and sit out in the sun (hahaha).. Oh yes, and sleep ..lots and make Chris do all the housework!

No comments:

Post a Comment